Gravy from scratch – Gluten Free
If you are thinking… oh no… You don’t have to make gravy, from roast drippings, as WELL as cook everything else for your big dinner?!
Nope – this recipe is easy, delicious, and can be made the day before (warmed up on the day obviously), totally gluten free – what’s more, guilt free too, no packet mixes or heavy fat content here!
For this easy recipe – read on…
Gravy from Scratch
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3 shallots, finely chopped (or white part of a leek)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (optional)
- 1.5 Tablespoons Brandy
- 50ml White Wine (red if it’s for red meat)
- 100ml good-quality chicken stock (light meat)
- Use beef stock if it’s for dark meat
- you can use water and stock concentrate
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Put the butter in a high-sided frypan
- Fry the Shallots (or Leek) over a medium heat until just turning brown
- Add the Garlic (if using) and stir for a minute or two more
- Add the Brandy and continue to cook over a medium heat until it has almost reduced away
- Pour the wine into the pan, turn up the heat and boil the wine rapidly until it has been reduced by half
- Add the Stock, salt and pepper, and reduce again. This time only to 2/3rds of the original liquid amount – this will take approx 5-6 minutes.
- lower heat to medium again and stir in the cream. Stir for a few minutes until your gravy has thickened slightly.
- Taste the gravy is seasoned to your taste before turning off the heat.
- Use immediately or reheat gently the next day (may need a touch of stock or water)
- Add some Peppercorns into pan with the Shallots, for Pepper Gravy
- Add some sliced Mushrooms with the Shallots, for Mushroom Gravy
- NOTE: Mushrooms generate quite a bit of liquid, make sure you sauté them until the liquid has been sautéed out.
- Diane Sauce has some Bacon, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce – Add a little of each
Not sure about how to cook your selection? Palmdale Meats, Poultry and Seafood – North Adelaide – are always here to help you. Call in to Palmdale Village Meats in the North Adelaide Village, 81 O’Connell St, North Adelaide.
There’s 2 hours free parking in the North Adelaide Village Centre, come and see us.