Palmdale Creamy Fennel Prawn Recipe
Do you like Garlic Prawns? We at Palmdale have put our very own spin on this very iconic recipe to make it our own. It is a wonderfully quick meal, which has a refreshing, but light, tang of aniseed – thanks to the Fennel Seeds. It’s easy to make – great with steamed rice or a salad – particularly a salad featuring a touch of fresh Fennel Bulb.
For the recipe, read on….
Creamy Fennel Prawns
Serves: 4 Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil (you can substitute flavoured or infused oil, like Chilli or Garlic)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons of Fennel Seeds
- 1 heaped tablespoon of plain flour (you can use GF flour)
- 1 cup of good quality chicken stock (or 1 cup of water plus appropriate level of chicken stock concentrate/powder)
- 2 tablespoons of white wine
- 1/2 cup of cream
- 750g peeled, uncooked, defrosted, prawns
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped, fresh, dill (optional: add or replace with chopped green chilli)
- Salt and Pepper to season
- Heat butter and Oil in a deep frypan, over a medium heat, until bubbles begin to form. Approx 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour. Using a whisk, stir the flour into the butter/oil mix. “Cook” the mix for 20-30 seconds, continuing to whisk.
- While still whisking briskly, slowly add the stock.
- Slow your stirring action with the whisk, but continue to stir.
- Add the cream and fennel seeds.
- Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
- Add Salt and Pepper to suit
- Add the prawns and stir gently (you might like to exchange your whisk for a spatula or wooden spoon at this point) until the prawns are cooked through. 3-5 minutes depending on how cold the prawns were.
- Stir in the freshly chopped Dill (and/or chilli).
- Serve with rice or salad. Lovely with fresh crusty bread – or all three 🙂
Recipe courtesy of Palmdale Village Meats, Chicken and Seafood
Another way we’re happy to serve!
(08) 8267 5498