John’s Fig and Prosciutto Lamb Wellington Recipe
John’s Fig and Prosciutto Lamb Wellington
Serves 2-3 (Each Backstrap is approx 250-300g. For one family, that will do 4 people, in some families it will do one. Talk with the folks at Palmdale for your needs)
Time: You need to cool the backstrap before wrapping in the pastry – While the cooking time is minimal, overall, this will take at least a couple of hours.
- 1 sheet of Puff Pastry – you can buy Gluten Free Puff Pastry if you would like it all GF
- 1 Palmdale quality, grass fed, antibiotic free Lamb Backstrap
- 2-3 fresh Figs. enough to lay across the top of the Backstrap when sliced
- (you can use Dry Figs – but increase by 1, soak them first, drain the liquid)
- 2 slices of Palmdale Prosciutto
- Salt and pepper
- Egg, milk or combination – for brushing on pastry
- If you are using dried figs – this is where you need to soak in hot water. Let them soak for at least 1/2 an hour. Drain and cool completely before using. You need a little more dried (than fresh) figs because some of the flavour dissapears with the soaking water.
- Heat a frypan to med/hot with some butter, oil or combination
- Dry your Backstrap completely with paper towelling, or it will not brown
- Season it lightly with salt and pepper
- Brown/Sear your Backstrap on all sides by turning 1/4 every 2-3 minutes. Don’t forget the ends
- Once it is totally seared, set aside to cool COMPLETELY
- Heat your oven to 200oC (180oC for Fan Forced)
- If you are using fresh Figs, peel them
- Slice your fresh or soaked Figs
- Wrap your COLD Backstrap with the slices of Prosciutto
- Put the wrapped Backstrap on one edge of the Puff Pastry Sheet
- Lay the slices of Fig on top of the wrapped Backstrap
- Brush your egg and/or milk wash along the inside edges of your pastry sheet.
- Starting with the side the Backstrap is sitting on, roll the Backstrap in the Pastry, sealing at the base and the sides. You may need to cut your pastry sheet.
- Brush the top with your egg and/or milk mixture
- Place in the oven and cook until Pastry is a nice brown all over. This will be approx 20 minutes.