Yiros Calzone Recipe
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Yiros (also known as Souvlakis, or Kebabs in different states), are so easy to make, especially with Palmdale Village Meats, Poultry and Seafood delicious pre-seasoned Yiros packs! All you need is to choose from Lamb or chicken – pop cooked Yiros meat on pita bread, with your choice of toppings and voila!
But what if you want something a little different? These Yiros Calzones didn’t take long to make and had the added benefit of great, quick, portable, lunches with the leftovers. It’s the same process for Yiros Pizza – I’ll explain both recipes….
Yiros Pizza or Calzones
- 1 batch of Pizza Dough (purchased or made by hand)
- 2 packets of Palmdale pre-seasoned Yiros. Chicken or lamb – your choice – cooked and COOLED
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Chopped, or grated, Mozzarella cheese
- Melted butter
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Easy Garlic Sauce (for serving)
- Cook and cool your Yiros meat (this can be done the day before – or you can use left over Yiros meat.
- Mix the tomato, spring onion and yiros meat together
- Divide your pizza dough into 6 pieces
- Use a little oil to roll your dough, instead of flour. Oil will season your wooden rolling pin and will not dry out your dough.
- Roughly roll 1 portion into a ball and then roll out into a rough circle – you can neaten it up later. Don’t roll too thin, approx 3-4mm
- Brush the edges of half your calzone with melted butter
- Add a portion of the yiros mixture, don’t over fill – remember the dough will expand a little as it proves
- Add either chunks, or sprinkle grated, Mozzarella cheese.
- Bring the top of your dough over and seal the edges
- Brush the top of your calzone with melted butter and snip slots into it with a sharp pair of scissors
- When you have done them all, heat oven to 200oC (180oC fan forced)
- While the oven is warming, cover the Calzones with baking paper and allow them to prove again.
- When proved, remove baking paper, bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, brush again with melted butter and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan
- Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with our easy Garlic Sauce recipe
- Similar to above, but flat of course 🙂
- Cover pizza base with tomato paste and use grated Mozzarella. Put the cheese both under and over the yiros mix.
- Drizzle the Garlic Sauce over it before serving. I’ve tried baking the pizza with the Garlic Sauce under the mix instead of the tomato paste…. but it dries out and therefore dries out the pizza. Cooking with the Garlic sauce in place, loses the taste – best to put after cooking.
Recipe courtesy of Palmdale Village Meats, Chicken and Seafood
Another way we’re happy to serve!
(08) 8267 5498